Monday, November 12, 2012

What do we rely on?

In the span of church history, Paul is rather a big deal.

He saw Jesus.

Miraculously.

He wrote a huge chunk of the New Testament. He was the first of millions of missionaries. He had a pretty incredible (okay, immeasurable!) impact.

If you are a leader--in worship or in church or anywhere--I'd imagine you want to have an impact too. It's sort of a leader thing.

Now let's change gears for a moment.

I've been sensing a pretty strong call from God to serve leaders through this "Worship Coach" concept. I have a really deep desire to help those who lead God's people in worship do it better. I have now been to a few churches and evaluated their Sunday morning gathering. I've looked at a host of external tools: instrumentation, song choice, sound systems, lighting, decor, greeters, visuals, web sites, and lots more.

So I was really glad to read this reminder from Paul the high-impact leader. These words are from 1 Corinthians 2:
"my message and my preaching were very plain. Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches (or, I might insert, great sound, lighting, songs, etc.) I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit. I did this so you would trust not in human wisdom but in the power of God."

So I wondered, and honestly still wonder a little, does what I do as a worship coach, or what you do as a worship leader or pastor, does any of that matter? Shouldn't we rely only on the power of the Holy Spirit?

I suppose I land on the word RELY. In our culture of technology and popular communication I'm leaning toward thinking that while we should never rely on those things, we should certainly use them. At the same time, we must be fairly obsessed with relying on the power of God, not the power of our tools.

Worship is spiritual before it is earthly.

Heaven help us if we don't pray as we plan, prepare, and present. The Sunday morning experience has implications for the eternal destiny of people. If we RELY on our tools, we build a house of worship on shifting sand. But if we use tools while we RELY on the power of our resurrected Savior... then YES and AMEN! 

May I humbly suggest you ask a question or two of yourself? And perhaps of those you lead?

How are you doing? What are you relying on?

No comments:

Post a Comment