Thursday, November 8, 2012

Repackaged Hymns

I love new music. I'm a huge fan of the Passion movement, Hillsong, Chris Tomlin, Keith Getty, and scads of other, perhaps less famous crafters of modern worship music.

But I also love the beauty of older lyrics and melodies. So I have always made it a priority to "freshen up" the great hymns of our faith and use them to lead in more contemporary services. I thought it might serve you to know some of my favorites. 

These are not necessarily my favorite hymns, just my favorite contemporary settings of hymns. And it isn't an exhaustive list. I tried to get it down to 10, but couldn't decide which of these to leave out.

I'd guess not all of them will work in your church. Some are a little to unusual sounding for some. Others are too plain for some. 

Still, I think you--the readers--will enjoy them.

These all have sheet music available. If you'd like to know where to find the print music, shoot me a message. All of the songs are hyperlinks to the song in itunes.

Alas and Did My Savior Bleed
All the Way My Savior Leads Me
Be Thou My Vision
Come, Ye Sinners, Poor and Needy
Fairest Lord Jesus
Give Me Jesus
Great Is Thy Faithfulness
How Great Thou Art
O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing
Praise to the Lord, the Almighty

Happy listening. Now... make others happy by using some!

No comments:

Post a Comment