Friday, November 30, 2012

Serving Leaders

One of my favorite things about leading is working with teams of folks, especially leaders. I love believing in people, challenging them, stretching them, equipping them, leading them, serving them and learning from them.

I imagine you and I have both heard and read a good bit about being a servant-leader. Hopefully I keep getting a little better at that, year-by-year.

But I have to say one of my most cherished things about being part of a pastoral team is being a serving-leader.

I'll do my best to explain the distinction with a trio of examples.

First, while Pastor of Worship Arts at Memorial Baptist in Frankfort, I loved serving my leader, my pastor. I walked into his office most Wednesday afternoons and Sunday mornings to ask, "Is there anything I can do to help you be ready for tonight? (or this morning) Sometimes we would talk between Sunday morning services and he would give me the incredible privilege of giving feedback about his sermon. And he would actually change some stuff. Sometimes. I think we got to that kind of relationship because, in part, he knew I was there to serve him. I loved serving my leader.

Second, while in the same church, I designed, formed and led a group of leaders we called the Worship Arts Team. These were team members who became team builders. That was part of the design God gave me for that place. And I loved serving those leaders. I wanted to provide for them in any way I could. If they needed comforting after a rough week or hard morning in worship, I'd comfort. If they were struggling to step up, I'd communicate how deeply I believed in them and encourage away. If they needed resources, I would go to bat for them. I loved serving the leaders in my ministry.

And third, I also wanted to do my best to serve those "on par" with me, organizationally speaking. Though they had longer tenure, and far more expertise in their fields that I ever dream of having, I wanted to serve those leaders too. So in and out of staff meetings I would offer as much support and insight as I could. Sometimes that was nothing. Sometimes it was a lot.

So how do you do it? How do you serve your leaders? Those above you in the flow chart, or under you, or next to you? The rest of us can learn from you, too! How do you help those around you thrive in their ministry?

No comments:

Post a Comment