Saturday, November 17, 2012

Communicate, pt 2

Last time I talked about how we communicate as worship leaders from the platform.

Today I'd like to share some thoughts about the importance of communication off the platform, Monday-Saturday, if you will.

First, two confessions.
1. I may now be above average at this, but I'm sure not great at it. My default thinking is big picture and relational more than detail and task oriented. That's not an excuse. I have learned: it is essential to offer clear and complete information to those we lead.
2. I used to be terrible at this. Terrible. I assumed people knew more than they did. Not in terms of general knowledge, but the things I should have told them. AND I was only fair at one-way communication, from me to them. Not at gathering information or asking questions.

So here are some suggestions based on things that have helped me get from a C- student to a B one...

First, ask people who think differently from you to give input (before something happens) and feedback (after that thing happens). Consider people of different genders, ages/generations, and temperaments.

Second, talk the way people listen. If they prefer texting, text away. If they don't own a cell phone, texting won't work. Same with email. Same with face-to-face. The more ways you communicate the same thing to multiple people, the better chance you have of getting word to everyone.

Third, make sure you say what needs to be said. It is far too easy to say what you wish you could say rather than what needs to be said. This is especially true when it comes to confrontation. (Remember Max Lucado's Maxim: "Conflict is inevitable. Combat is optional.")

A lack of communication is likely to result in ineffective ministry, regardless of how talented you are in other areas of your work.

Final thought--if you are a leader, communication is your responsibility. If someone hasn't heard, it doesn't really matter if you've said it or not. It is your job to make sure the communication loop is completed. If those around you are saying you are not effective at communicating (as I used to be told regularly) then do the hard work. Discover where your breakdown is.

And get some help.

No comments:

Post a Comment