Friday, November 23, 2012

Learnings about saying thanks

The more I blog about how to be a good worship leader, a great worship pastor, a difference-making leader, the more I am aware of my shortcomings. Many of the things I'm sharing in these "pages" are things I do passably, or pretty well, but don't excel at doing. I know the right things to do, but I struggle to do them. (Sort of like the apostle Paul in Romans 7, I suppose)

I'd like to share today a handful of thoughts about saying thank you. As I share, I'm aware how I've failed at this. Oh, I've said thank you a gazillion ways to a gazillion people. But I've been inconsistent. I've forgotten. I've minimized when I should've maximized. And vice verse. I've sometimes chosen one means of thanks when I should've chosen a different one. Maybe if I go on, you'll understand better.

First, let's admit it. We all like to be thanked. Some of us have an unhealthy psychological need for it, and for others it is nearly unimportant. But for all of us, a genuine "thank you" is a win. So if you are a worshiper, thank those who lead you. If you are a worship leader, thank those you lead and those with whom you lead. Worship leaders, thank your pastor. Pastors, thank your worship leader.

Look someone straight in the eye this Sunday and tell them plainly, "thank you for _________________ in the worship ministry."

Second, it is a different thing to be thanked privately from being shown appreciation publicly. Both can be powerful. But sometimes public recognition without an accompanying private moment can appear (or be) manipulative. Other times all of the personal moments of thanks are rendered powerless without any public acknowledgement. So pay attention. Learn the hearts of those you are thanking. And then thank them in the ways that mean the most to them.

Third, there is unique power in using the phrase from Paul in Ephesians 1:16: "I have not stopped thanking God for you." It is one thing to be thankful to someone. It is quite another to be thankful to God for someone. And to say so in front of them. If you lead a choir, you may gather with them before the next time they sing for a service and say, "I can't stop thanking God for the honor of walking through life with you." If you work with a band, you might circle up after practice and say to them, "I want you all to know that when I pray for you, I thank God for entrusting me with such musically gifted team members." And if you are married, it will serve your spouse to say, "I thank God that He chose for you to be the love of my life." 

Fourth, be aware that gratitude and generosity are at the very least cousins. They may very well be twins. The more grateful our heart becomes the more generous it will be. And the more we practice generosity, the more gratitude gets stirred up in our hearts. The reason I share that here is because I want you to express your thankfulness. Be generous with it. And the more outlandishly you practice thankfulness, the more thankful you will become. This is a beautiful gift of God, a grace that can be magnified as we reflect the generous image of God.

Fifth. Finally. Be thankful. I hear tender imploring in Paul's tone of voice in Colossians 3:12-15, but especially at the end. Almost pleading in a whisper: "And be thankful." 

Then do what you are.

Be thankful.

Do thankful.

As we wrap up today, I am thankful for you, my readers. There is an abundance of "stuff" out there, and it isn't loss on me that you choose to sit and read my thoughts. I often wonder at the fact that more than a handful of people would choose to take a few minutes of their life to read what I have to say. I am astounded at your choice to read my words. Thank you. From the deep places in my heart and soul, thank you.

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving and that this Sunday your heart will be filled with thankfulness as we worship our great God.

(One of my very favorite newer hymns: My Heart Is Filled with Thankfulness)

No comments:

Post a Comment