Sunday, November 18, 2012

Freedom vs. Security

I was a sophomore, I think. It was about 2 am, and I was working security at Georgetown College until 3 am. My boss walked in from patrolling the campus. He looked deep in thought, which almost didn't seem possible when you first met JD Strouth.

He paused at the door and spoke:

"Freedom and security are inversely related."

Then he left me alone to ponder in the late night hour.

That was it. No explanation. No development. No questions.

And then he came back 20 minutes later and we talked until after my shift ended. I don't imagine I was the only 19 year old kid he did that to, but it sort of rocked my world.

Think about it.

Dating. Want security? Give up freedom. Go steady. Get engaged. Want freedom? Give up security.

Government. Want security? Give up freedoms. (like post 9/11 America) Want freedom? Give up security.

Campus Safety. Want security? Give up freedom. Walk with someone. Want freedom. Give up security. Walk alone.

I've thought about the truth of that statement--and this is no exaggeration--at least 1,000 times over the last 27 years or so.

And then today, out of nowhere, a higher Truth came into my mind.

Not in Christianity.

For the follower of Christ, freedom and security both exist in abundance, not only side by side, but within and without.

Christian, you are completely secure. Jesus told us plainly, "I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me, for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch them from the Father's hand. The Father and I are one." (John 10:28-30)

And at the exact same time, you are completely free. "Sin is no longer your master, for you no longer live under the requirements of the law. Instead, you live under the freedom of God's grace." (Romans 6:14)

And there are other passages as well. Many of them.

But here's the thing--at 19 years of age it never would have occurred to me that Christianity was overflowing with endless security and freedom. It felt restraining. It felt like those outside the faith had greater freedom than those in Christ.

I was wrong.

Freedom and security are inversely related, JD, but with one exception: life in Christ.

Yep. That's grace.

2 comments:

  1. Yep.. this is good. So good I'm going to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kevin! Don't know what I'd do without the security of being held in the palm of God's hand!

    ReplyDelete