Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Lesson in Listening

Every once in a while, probably 3-4 times a year, I get a really strong sense that an idea I have is from God. Don't get me wrong, I believe that most of my leadership-oriented ideas are from my redeemed, Spirit-empowered imagination, and birthed in prayer and devotion. But every so often I have a clear sense that God is "in" an idea.

A few examples:

Using the Experiencing God musical at Memorial Baptist. It seemed to be the right, Godly thing to do before, during, after, and long after that choice. The church still benefits from what God did during that few months.

Something I called "Crazy Idea 427" which involved teaching a 3-week series of Sunday School sessions with various classes to help us understand one other better as well as to help us grasp Biblical worship. The conclusion of that series of conversations was to have the class plan a service. Huge impact. 

"The Good Friday Experience" which a team of people at Journey Baptist Fellowship put together. Amazing. Powerful. God was all over the planning, the preparation, the presentation. We didn't do it perfectly, but it was really great.

Also, both of the major events we did at Immanuel Baptist in Lexington--one at Christmas and one near July 4--were just saturated in an awareness of God's anointing.

The one I'd like to share today, though, is about how I began my time as Interim Worship Pastor at Immanuel. I called it "from Trios to Quartets" and it was a way for me and the folks in the worship ministry to get to know one another. I created a sign up sheet for a 6-week period, including options for breakfast meetings, lunch meetings, supper meetings, coffee meetings, office meetings, etc. and asked three people to sign up. They were a trio. And then I joined them, and we became a quartet.

In those relaxed environments I asked each person three things:
I. Tell me about growing up, about your family.
II. What is one God-sourced dream you have for the worship ministry.
III. How can I pray for you?

And that was it.

It was incredible. I took notes. One of my frequent follow-up questions was "what did your mom and dad do for a living?" And some of the folks I met with were in their 80s. So one dad was part of building a bridge over the Chesapeake Bay and a grandpa was president of a nearby college, etc. I heard from a surprising number of parents who had lost children to tragedy--children who were little or teens or adults. I learned about the adult child of one senior adult choir member who plays in the Boston Pops.

And it hit me time after time... we don't know each other because we don't ask questions like these. 

As people answered that second question, about their God-sourced dreams for worship ministry I got to hear their heart, not just their preference. Of course some people weren't able to grasp what I was looking for. But a majority did. And I introduced a way of thinking that was key to our ministry together. God-sourced dreams.

Then as they shared ways I could pray for them, I heard the depth of their joy, pain, hope, and passion. 

It was incredible. 

If you are starting in a new place of ministry (volunteer, part time or full time), please consider doing something like this. But even if you have no plans to go anywhere...adapt the concept and meet with a trio of people every month. Take some time to get to know people at a deeply personal and spiritual level. Hear their story, their dreams, their hopes.

And then hook arms and change the world. Reach the world. Bring God's Kingdom to His creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment