Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Designing Worship

I got to spend some time with pastors yesterday, having dozens of conversations around the topic of whether or not their churches should start a new worship service in a different, more modern style. It was an amazing time. Asked to speak for 30-40 minutes, we were still going strong after 2 hours!

One question asked by a pastor I've known for nearly 40 years especially thrilled me. I suppose that's because he's been part of leading worship for longer than I've been alive. It was wonderful to hear a man like that want to learn what I've been learning about how to craft worship services that flow meaningfully. (I sure hope I NEVER stop learning like he modeled for me yesterday!)

I figured this might be a good place to also answer his question. Here are the three things I shared with Harold:

1) Use a Biblical model like Psalm 95.
Psalm 95 is used in many, if not most, contemporary styled churches. It's funnel shaped, from a lot of energy and fast tempo, through a quieting down/medium tempo, to a quietness in slow tempo. Then the sermon. Read Psalm 95. You'll see the parallel.

2) Use a different Biblical model like Isaiah 6.
Isaiah 6 is a conversation of sorts between the prophet and God. It walks through 6 steps:
Praise - "I saw the Lord, high and exalted..."
Confession -  "I said "...I am a sinful man..."
Assurance - "...your sins are forgiven"
Proclamation - "I heard the Lord..."
Response - "I said, 'Here I am'..."
Sending - "God said, 'Go and tell this people'..."

3) Make sure you have a destination in mind before you start the worship journey.
The folks at Willow Creek, under the guidance of Bill Hybels and Nancy Beach, make sure they know the answer to three questions about the sermon so that the elements of the service can serve the Word:
     a) What do you want people to know?
     b) What do you want the folks to feel?
     c) What do you want them to do?

This is not an exhaustive list. For example, I also love Robert Webber's 4-fold pattern, which is based largely on the worship practices of the early church and the church through history (gathering, word, table, sending). And there are many others.

Perhaps the most important take away from this post is to plan on purpose. Have something in mind when you sit down to design a worship experience.


Through my "Worship Coach" consulting, I can explain this in much more detail and help you learn to plan in any of these models. I've created scores of services with each of these in mind. If you decide you'd like my help, give me a call (502.229.0114) or shoot me a message (on Facebook or at RodEEllis@aol.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment