Sunday, November 4, 2012

Heart Language

I recently asked my Facebook friends what they'd be interested in reading in my blog. Renee, who plays cello in the orchestra at Immanuel Baptist Church, asked me to talk about preferences for different worship styles and how we can address that without alienating people.

My goodness, what a huge challenge. I'll do my best to offer just a few thoughts. This could become a marathon writing project, but then you'd have to be a marathon reader, so let's see if we can sprint through a few thoughts instead.

1) Be sure we prefer people over style. This is, I'm convinced, the most essential element. And it must be cultivated everywhere--leaders to followers, followers to leaders, young to old and back again. In our conversations, as we value relationships, we have to be honest. According to the apostle Paul, we should "Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves." (Philippians 2:3b) Don't talk about people, talk with people. Get the conversation about worship styles out of the shadows and into the light. When we snipe at one another, conversations have a power that is out of control and downright unchristian. And... it values preference over people. Speaking truth in love is a Biblical command. (Ephesians 4:15)

2) Be aware of underlying issues. There are at least two in virtually every church--one wearing rose-colored glasses and one armed with cynicism. I prefer rose-colored glasses, so I'll share that one first. We all have an established musical language that allows our hearts to express our love for God. (A recent re-run of Criminal Minds on TV reminded me of that truth. Go figure!) In other words, if you ask me to sing a song that isn't in my heart language, I can't release my heart to connect with the heart of God any more than I could sing in Cantonese and actually communicate anything from me to my Father. This means some songs should, if at all possible, connect with the hearts of the various segments of a congregation. On the more cynical side, this same concept can become an idol rather than a preferred means of communication. "I know what I like and I like what I know" can actually and all too quickly become "I worship what I like and I like what I worship." The subject of our worship must always be the God who gave us music, not the music itself.

3) Be willing to address spiritual issues. Christ-followers must be willing to call sin, sin. Demanding my preference is a blatant contradiction to Ephesians 5:21: "Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ." Indeed, when we don't submit to one another, we create a false reverence for ourselves, not true reverence for Christ. When we gladly submit, we are willing to let other folks have music that gives expression to their heart-song. And we must do this throughout the church--not just preachers or worship pastors or small group leaders, but all of us must speak truth to the handful of people with whom we are in spiritually intimate relationships. If someone has made musical style an idol, they may not be able to see their idolatry in their "spiritual mirror." It then becomes incumbent upon those of us in close relationship with that person to speak the truth in love, and bring them back to the path of spiritual vitality. (see Galatians 6:1)

If you're heart is not able to express itself to the heart of God where you are regularly attending worship services, then lovingly talk with those making choices about what is sung and what sounds are being made. And if you are the one approached, reply with grace. Be open to a new work of God in your heart, mind and soul. Commit to yourself that you will remember what matters most in worship gatherings--engaging our heart (spirit) and mind (truth) to engage our God.

And leaders, remember, we are to build up the church. (I Cor 12-14)

That feels like my suitcase--overpacked. I could have made it lighter, but I would have to write longer... and you'd have to read longer.

I'm curious. Do you agree? Disagree? Have other insights? Share your comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment