Friday, November 16, 2012

Communicate, pt 1

One of my favorite things to say to singers--whether a choir or praise team--is "you are communicators more than you are musicians."

If you are anywhere on the platform, then as a worship leader you are communicating. Always. 

I suppose the question is, what are you communicating?

Let's start with body language.

Are you all in or checked out? Does your posture say you uninterested or fully engaged? Are you distracted or directed? 

Move on to your face, specifically. 

Do you look bored or bright? Are your eyes sleepy or sparkling? If you play an instrument, is your mouth moving with the words? 

How about your voice?

Is there dynamic range when you sing? Are you singing tender phrases ("I need Thee ev'ry hour") quietly and triumphant phrases ("Then bursting forth in glorious day") with boldness and strength?

And let's get to the root of the issue.

Do you know the text? Perhaps more importantly, do you understand, love, and cherish the lyrics? Are they words that have settled into your soul so that when you sing them it is really an offering from your heart to the heart of God?

Communication on the platform is happening. I'm hopeful these thoughts can help us communicate in a way that makes worship great, that connects the hearts of those we lead with the heart of the God we worship.


Through my "Worship Coach" consulting, I can explain this in much more detail and help you learn to communicate from the platform well. This is actually one of the areas in which I am especially effective. If you decide you'd like my help, give me a call (502.229.0114) or shoot me a message (on Facebook or at RodEEllis@aol.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment