Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Your Song Story

I was honored to fill in for my dear friend Andrew Causey and lead worship at Woodburn Baptist Church near Bowling Green, KY. The service was planned before I got there and was sort of a "throw back" service for that congregation. Every song was found in the 1991 Baptist Hymnal. The accompaniment was just piano and organ. There was no praise team. No choir.

And it was great.

It made me so proud of my friends who are leading well in that cross-generational church. The style of music did not determine the expression of the worshipers. Young. Middle. Old. All were engaged.

Two things I'd like to share from that experience that may serve you.

#1 - The power of a cappella singing. One of the things I asked the pianist and organist to do was drop out for the last chorus of Mark Blankenship's Worthy of Worship. As one of the older members commented to me after the service, "It sounded like the roof might come off!" The sound of voices--the only instrument fashioned by God--was powerful. If you haven't recently found a way to sing softly, loudly, or in between--and without instruments--go for it!

#2 - The need to share our song stories. A song Andrew had chosen was one I don't think I've ever picked in 25 years of planning worship services, "Day by Day." (Please don't hate me if you love that song!) What struck me as we sang was how much that song took me back to singing at my grandmother's church on Mother's Days as a kid. And I imagine she, and my mom, could tell me stories about why that song means so much to them. So I encouraged the congregation--younger folks first...
   a) young people, there's a reason those older than you want you to know these songs. It isn't just because we like them, it's because we have encountered God through them. Just like you are meeting with God through newer music, we have stories and memories of God's faithfulness connected to songs we've been singing for decades.
   b) older folks, there's a reason you want those younger than you to know these songs. So TELL US STORIES! This can be a great way to commend the works of God from generation to generation. (Psalm 145:4) So rather than complaining that we don't sing "Victory in Jesus" enough, tell people why that song is a faith marker for you. Share the story. Share your story. Share God's story. And then, whether we sing it often enough or not, our children and grandchildren will know the works of God in your life. And isn't that endlessly more important than what songs we sing anyway?

How do you share your faith story with those younger?

4 comments:

  1. "Day by Day" is one of my favorites because it was one of my mother's favorites. We recently did a Community Prayer Vigil for the families at Newtown, CT. I led the music and chose that hymn because the text had several applicable lines, including: "He whose heart is kind beyond all measure gives unto each day what He deems best; Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure, mingling toil with peace and rest." Blessings, Steve Hall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steve and Susie! Spread the word? I'd love for this particular post to be read by lots of our friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING GRACE. WHY.... I KNEW I WAS SAVED AT AGE 32. BUT THEN I REALIZE OTHERS WERE NOT SAVED. I KNEW THEN IT WAS TIME TO SPREAD THE WORD TO OTHERS. ONCE I WAS BLIND BUT NOW I SEE.

    ReplyDelete