Monday, January 14, 2013

Daily D

I had an unusual experience while praying the other day. I've been praying for a few decades, most days of those decades, and often many times in a day. And this has never happened.

God seemed to tell me to shut up.

I know. Seems heretical.

I don't mean that God was telling me to ignore Him or break fellowship or any such thing. But this particular praying was just before a key meeting, so I thought spending some time with my Father would be wise. As I prayed I sensed Him whisper to me, "be yourself." Five times I prayed, and five times the same response. And then there was just this sense that he sort of told me we were finished talking.

It was really weird.

And just like weird people, weird experiences are worth staring at.

So as I've stared.

I've pondered.

I wonder if we have over emphasized daily devotions and under emphasized daily devotion.

Let me say that another way: we may have made too much of a few minutes with God and too little of every minute with God.

(And we probably do the same with money, beating the drum of the tithe rather than looking at God's desire for a hundred percent of what we receive.)

So what if we thought of daily devotions as a part of--but not all of--daily devotion.

Returning to my bizarre prayer-experience, perhaps God was revealing to me that all of my morning was prayer, some of it talking with Him alone and more of it being with Him and others.

What do y'all think? Leave a comment, if you don't mind!

2 comments:

  1. Rod, I love the challenge to turn "Daily devotions into daily devotion!" Thank you for sharing what God is teaching you.

    ReplyDelete