Monday, January 21, 2013

Freedom, Freedom, Freedom

I did enjoy Braveheart quite a lot, but that's not what I'm thinking here.

It is Martin Luther King, Jr. day, and that's what prompted the timing for sure. I am so grateful for the vision MLK had for all people to be free in Christ.

And, of course, that concept comes directly from the scripture: Christ has set us free to live a free life. So take your stand! Never again let anyone put a harness of slavery on you. (Galatians 5:1)

Doesn't this have significant implications for our worship gatherings? Shouldn't people have a powerful sense of Godly freedom when it comes to how we express our hearts and minds? Shouldn't the Christ-oriented heart be increasingly able to demonstrate outwardly what it feels inwardly? 

I am convinced the answer is a fervent YES! 

And so on occasion, when I'm leading worship, I will encourage people to pursue that freedom. My experience has been that a set of words can so profoundly affect me that while others are standing, I have to sit under the weight of what has been sung. Conversely, there have been many times I couldn't just sit there and sing; I had to get on my feet. 

Without being defiant or antagonistic (which is why I called it Godly freedom), I encourage you to spur those you lead toward freedom in worship. According to the Apostle Paul, that's why Christ set us free--to live free!

Happy Martin Luther King day, friends!


To get some help with this dynamic, I'd love to come and serve your worship leading team--choir, praise team, tech team, planning team, etc. Just shoot me a message! RodEEllis@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment