Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Send more kids to funerals?

Is that as bizarre sounding to you as it is to me... sending more kids to funerals?

The Child Development experts will probably disagree with the idea, but hang with me.

Children may balk more at this idea than going to see a mean doctor having a really bad day.

In fact, you may think this is the stupidest idea you've heard since The New Coke.

Here's why I had such a weird idea: I went to a funeral.

It was a guy I kind of knew, but not really. We were "good acquaintances." I wish we'd been good friends. We could've been. I missed out.

It gave me a whole different way to think about the sanctity of a life.

See where I'm going yet?

You see, as I listened to the stories about my friend Tim Best, I heard how much value was packed into his 65 years on this earth. I heard how much he meant to his students in band, choir and drama. I heard how much he meant to his community, as founder of a theater group. I heard how much he meant to his churches, including the pastors with whom he served. I heard how much he meant to this world.

He was priceless.

And that's why I think maybe we should take kids to funerals.

Not seeing it yet?

There is a trend, more prevalent in big cities I imagine, of devaluing life. Senseless murders. Valuing a pair of shoes over the feet that walk in them. It seems to me to stem from a belief that life just doesn't matter much. "My" life may. "Their" life may not.

But if kids went to more funerals they'd hear about the value of life, they'd see how much the person who is being memorialized was cherished by people--real people.

Few thing make us more aware of the value of life than death.

So even if this is an exceedingly stupid idea--sending kids to more funerals--I've decided to cherish the stories of the people around me a little more. I don't want to attend another service for an acquaintance that I wish had been a friend. I want to know people well. I want to love people well.

And I don't want to wait until a funeral.

6 comments:

  1. I can remember attending the funeral of my great grandfather Henry and all of their children with the exception of the one remaining daughter, my grandmother. I was very young but it taught me that there is a beginning and end of life for all people. With the many different ages I also learned we don't all get to live into our 90's as my grandmother is. I have not been good at making the most of my time with people in my life. This may just give me the kick in the seat I need to do better at that. YES children should go to funerals. There is no age too young in my opinion. My son was only 2 when I took him to my great grandmother's funeral. He learned to be quiet and respectful and he learned that death happens and we can say goodbye no matter what age we are. He was permitted to touch the body vesel that once contained her beautiful soul. He was able to feel death in a beautiful way. Guess what world...he is not scarred and at 30 he has also been to many funerals. No need to let it be a shock in later years, let it be normal in younger years so they understand it is natural. They too will want to share memories and this will teach them the value of LIFE! Great post Cuz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, my friend. Thanks for sharing. I, too, am still unpacking all the thoughts (challenges and encouragements) from the CELEBRATION of Tim's LIFE yesterday. And as I am typing this "In Christ Alone" is playing on my Meredith Andrews Pandora Channel....No guilt in life...no fear in death... AMEN!!!
    2 Corinthians 2:14 "But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I have been to a few funerals I would not want to take a child to, I agree with you. The outpouring of love and appreciation for Tim made me wish I had known him better as well, even though I have stood next to him many times in concerts, there was much about him I din't know. It was truly a blessing to be there and sing with our KY Baptist Men's Chorale! Steve Hall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your point here is understood well Rod. I think your best point was summed up when you said "Few thing make us more aware of the value of life than death." I sure wish I had made CERTAIN Tim Best knew how valuable his life had been to me before his death.

    Jennifer Tinnell

    ReplyDelete