Friday, January 25, 2013

Confession Time

I struggle with it. I know I often seem to have great clarity, but honestly...I have a lot of fuzz about several things related to worship ministry in 2013. Here are a few.

1) I miss making great choral music. I really loved working fine points of choral tone, of hearing harmonies that just don't seem at home in a more modern-worship context, and teaching much of the great choral literature I learned in college and seminary. I don't know that it matters--in terms of growing the kingdom of God--but I miss it.

2) I still don't feel like I have a clue what the "graded children's choir" has to do with worship ministry in the modern church. The original concept grew out of a desire to have great adult choirs, those who could read music and sing well. But I struggle with a lack of clarity about how to prepare the next generation to lead worship for their generation.

3) I wish youth choirs could be a big deal again. I know, so old school! But I remember tours. I remember relationships. I remember watching those students excel. And I miss it. I really wish we could find a way for the church of the 21st century to have vibrant youth choirs.

So there are my top 3. What about you? Anything you'd like to "confess" that is a struggle for you when it comes to clarity and ministry? Maybe our online community can come up with some helpful input!

2 comments:

  1. I confess that I miss those things too! But why can't we have well-trained choirs to keep beautiful music alive to glorify God? I think there is so much that we are missing by completely bypassing the great Christian choral literature that is already out there. It seems like we pander sometimes to what people already like instead of presenting beauty in the context of worship. Why can't the worship leader/choir director share the meaning of the anthem before it is performed--similar to what you mentioned in a previous blog-- and encourage/engage the church in worship while it is being sung? And then those graded children's choirs would be preparing all of us for skillfully and beautifully sung worship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts. I'm not sure we "can" or "can't." My heart is to glorify God, build up the church, and create services that those far from God really want to attend. I suppose that's why I struggle.

    Other folks have comments?

    ReplyDelete