Friday, January 18, 2013

Becoming Tech Savvy

I enjoy technology. I'm not obsessed with it. I don't think it is the key to a utopian world. And I don't think the church even needs technology to worship. (I did spend time in east Africa, where there was no electricity available, and we worshipped just fine.)

But in our great country, and in most churches in our country, being able to navigate around worship-related technologies is sure helpful. If we're going to enlist unpaid servants to run sound, a computer, a light board, a camera, etc. then it would be good to be able to communicate using the right vocabulary, it would be even better to have a working knowledge of what the capabilities of those technologies are.

But how?

That sort of depends on where you're starting and your personality.

I have a friend who reads--cover to cover--every instruction manual on every piece of electronics he buys. I would rather visit a mad dentist having a bad day.

I have another friend who loves to share "tricks of the trade." I love hanging out with him 'cause I learn every time.

And then there's a simple sense of adventure. When we first installed a theatrical lighting system at Memorial Baptist in Frankfort, I was a sponge--watching lighting everywhere I went, paying attention to how it was used for dramatic sketches, for soloists or ensembles, for preachers, etc. I thought of it as a playground and I was the kid.

But there's also just good old fashioned research. Sometimes you have to hop online and check something out. Or contact a knowledgable friend/colleague to get an answer.

I've seen more and more people ask questions on Facebook, like my buddy Dennis Cook did recently when checking into presentation software.

And, of course, if you'd like some help with an all-around check-up, let's set up a Worship Coach session--either with you or your tech/production/media team. I'd be honored to serve any way I can!


www.worshipcoach.us
www.facebook.com/worshipcoach

No comments:

Post a Comment