Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Tools

I love finding a great new song. Actually, I prefer to find a great arrangement of a song, one that makes it come to life in a spectacular way. Great arrangements of great songs are powerful tools.

I love hearing music through great speakers. The more churches I visit, the more I notice the difference between speakers that cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars and those that cost thousands and thousands. There's really no comparison. Clarity. Sparkle. Great speakers are superb tools.

I recently led worship as a guest. One of the great guitar players also played cello. He owns two--one that he often brings to church so it can be plugged directly into the sound system and the other one? 300 years old and has "never seen the sun." Great instruments are great tools. In fact, my wife--a really great flute player--has been playing in my worship teams for most of the last 15 years. She had a dream of upgrading her instrument and one of my favorite marriage memories is taking her to Boston where she got to pick out her new flute, a really amazing instrument. I love hearing her play as I lead.

As a bit of a writer, I have delighted in penning dramatic sketches for actors in my congregations. I can't even begin to describe for you how much joy there is in hearing people laugh at something in a well-crafted script. Many of these elements of drama became powerful tools in the hands of the preacher who followed those actors.

And speaking of sermons, they are one of those powerful tools God uses to bring about life-change in those gathered in churches, whether they've been walking with Jesus for decades or running from Him for years.

But I've noticed a troubling trend.

Sometimes we are more excited about our tools than our Savior.

Don't get me wrong. Tools are important. The better the tool, the more effective the craftsman. The right tool make it easier to do the job right. So gather tools--songs, scripts, gear, instruments, etc.

But just like the goal of the potter is not to have the best wheel but the best vase, the goal of the worshipper--and even more, the worship leader--is to USE the best tools to make the most of our great God.

I pray this serves you as a handy reminder at the beginning of a new year!


www.worshipcoach.us

No comments:

Post a Comment