Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Not a Spectator Sport

He changed my life. Really. In fact, I don't know of very many people (outside of family and those I interact with often) that have changed it more.

And this excerpt from his book may best summarize the impetus for that change: "Worship is not something done to us or for us but by us."

Those words from the late Robert Webber now shape the way I think about everything in the worship gathering: song selection, flow, instrumentation, rehearsal, body language, fashion, screens, sound, lighting, and more.

So when one of my friends in ministry asked me to write about how people can be encouraged to join in, not just be spectators, my mind first went to this short sentence from the opening pages of Worship Is a Verb.

But then, as I've pondered over the weeks since my friend asked, I've decided to offer just three ways I try to lead in a way that gets as many people as possible "doing" worship.

First, spiritual formation. It seems to me that when I encounter someone who has a soul that is afire with the Spirit of God, their worship is expressed. It has to be. It can't not be. And that's true regardless of style of music. So the pastoral team, including the worship pastor, must invest in "fanning into flame" the faith we have received.

Second, worship education. Churches are places of learning. People learn in many ways, and sadly, we often learn things that aren't true or right. So using Biblical verses, passages, stories and concepts, I try to create an accurate understanding of what Christ-exalting worship involves. Some ways I've done this through the years include Bible Study groups, weekly emails, newsletter articles, book studies, and now--a lot of social media.

Third, platform modeling. This has been area of exciting growth for me over the last decade or so. I want to authentically look like what I'm asking the congregation to do. If I appear disinterested, I do an injustice to the goal of helping others actively "do" worship. But if I communicate the lyrics I'm singing, I can encourage others to do the same.

This is one my strengths in worship ministry. In fact, the track record I have for helping churches become active worshipers is a huge part of why I have created my Worship Coach consulting-ministry. If there is any way I could come and help your church be more participatory in her worship, I'd love to hear from you!


www.worshipcoach.us

No comments:

Post a Comment