Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Spiritual Energy

Does that title seem odd to you? It sometimes does to me, almost new-age-ish.

Let me share where I first started using that phrase.

I was the Worship Pastor at First Baptist of Lansdale, PA. We had an early, contemporary service. And people who would visit the early service from their regular late (more traditional) service would comment about how the service just seemed to have more energy. Fewer people attended at 8 am. A lot fewer. There was no 40-voice choir like the later service. No giant pipe organ like we had at 11:00. But more energy.

Yet the energy wasn't emotionalism. We weren't always laughing or crying or any such thing. We just had more of what I could only describe as God-sourced energy.

It was while I was learning to lead worship in that place that I think God awakened in me the desire to lead with passion and energy that reflected the words we were singing. The style of music helped, but as I have increasingly discovered over the last few years, the profound meaning of the text--and engaging it fully--is what has maintained my spiritual energy and passion.

Let me use a song you may not be familiar with to illustrate. I learned it from one of my mentors, Dave Bullock from Elmbrook Church in Wisconsin. Dave used to bring a group of folks to lead worship for a Kentucky Baptist Convention event called Shepherding the Shepherd. And it was there I learned "When I Was Lost," a song by Kate Simmonds:


When I was lost you came and rescued me
Reached down into the pit and lifted me
O Lord, such love: I was as far from you as I could be
You know all the things I've ever done
But Jesus' blood has canceled every one
O Lord, such grace, to qualify me as your own.

Over the last few years, as I've sung the words "I was as far from you as I could be" and remembered the multiple times and ways God has rescued me, has canceled my sin, has qualified me as his own, I can't help but sing with gratitude. No editorial note is required at the beginning of the song. My story intersected God's story and got lost--or better, found--in that Story. 

And so I sing from the deep places of my heart, my mind, my soul. 

When lots of people in the same room do this at the same time there is spiritual energy.

Or as the Psalmist translated it according to the old KJV: "Thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel." (Ps 22:3)

So when people talk with me about the way I lead worship that connects with them, I most often hear something like "I really believe you when you sing." My hope is that this is not only true for all who stand on a platform and leads God's people into God's presence for God's glory, but that it looks like it.


For help developing this part of you as a worship leader, I offer mentoring as part of Worship Coach consulting and I'd be honored to serve you in whatever way I can. Just shoot me a message!

RodEEllis@aol.com
www.worshipcoach.us
502.229.0114

1 comment: