Thursday, January 3, 2013

Tools, part 2

I've done some reading about spiritual disciplines over the last couple of years. One of my favorites was Mark Buchanan's Your God Is Too Safe. He beautifully and thoroughly makes the case I've seen in other places: the goal is not to observe spiritual disciplines; the goal is intimacy with God. The more faithfully we observe and the more fully we utilize spiritual disciplines, the greater the likelihood of intimacy with God.

As I was designing a worship gathering recently, the similarity struck me. Just like Godly disciplines aren't the ends of a relationship with God but the means, so great worship music isn't to goal, but the path to authentic worship.

And as I pondered that idea, I remembered the similarities and the differences.

I attended The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary from 1988-1991 and was part of an absolutely amazing choir. We made really spectacular music. I learned so much from the conductor (John Dickson) and students around me. And we often sang great choral music that would not be considered worship music. It was part of a rigorous education in music making. And I loved it. 

There was profound and powerful emotion when we connected deeply with the texts we sang, whether sacred or secular. (Terminology I'm not too fond of, by the way.) It would have been easy, even normal, to have the same response to texts from the faith or texts from great poets. 

And if we pursue music, seeking to make music our end, we worship a tool.

But when we pursue Jesus through music, seeking to make intimacy with Him our end, we use a tool.

The more emotive a song, the more intense the temptation. 

(Please don't use bad music as a way to deal with this tension. Our sacrifices are to be the best we can find.)

The solution is to point one another to Jesus instead of music.

For example, rather than admonishing folks to--in 3 syllables--"sing it out," you can use the same time to say "sing to Him," or "sing to Jesus." Point people to the Person, not the tool.

In my experience, the worship leader who models this best is Bob Kauflin. I learn from him every time I am around him. Bob is now in Louisville, Kentucky, and if you are nearby I'd encourage you to find a way to attend a service where he leads

In the meantime, if I can help you learn more and implement some of this thinking through my Worship Coach consulting/ministry, shoot me a message.

Tools are powerful. God is all-powerful. Let's remember--and teach--the difference.


www.worshipcoach.us
www.facebook.com/worshipcoach
RodEEllis@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment