Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Attitude Is?

A friend in ministry suggested I write about how I have successfully dealt with those in worship ministry who have a bad attitude.

This should be short!

Actually, I think it is a great question and I'm even more interested in help you may have to offer than I am in what follows. This is a huge challenge, and I'm not sure it is one I have effectively conquered. Still, I have three approaches to share.

First, what I've done that hasn't worked--ignore it. I tried this approach far too often. And sadly, some of those folks I just outlasted. My positive, can-do, believe the best approach has probably just frustrated some people so much that they gave up and went somewhere else. I don't know that for sure. No one has told me as much. But it seems, looking back, that this may have happened. That makes me sad.

Second, something I've done that worked well--build a positive team. The more the people around me are armed with a great attitude, the more those with a bad one stand out and feel out of place. Not only that, but those around me who are more comfortable with confrontation simply speak up. One of the things I like about this approach is that as a pastor-leader, I don't have to "come down" on someone, but those in the church hold one another accountable.

Third, what I've tried to do that seemed to help--create a positive culture. This takes the longest but also has the longest positive effect. So I use scripture passages to teach--through weekly emails, in devotions at rehearsals or meetings, and in conversations--that attitude matters to God. Consider these three verses:
   "You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had." Philippians 2:5 (a great passage, vss. 1-11, to do an interactive conversation about over several weeks)
   "Do everything without complaining and arguing." Philippians 2:14 (yes, that really is in the Bible!)
   "We will speak the truth in love." - Ephesians 4:15 (key being how we speak)

Building a culture of Christ-like attitude can be helped along by creating a short list of core values or key concepts that are published everywhere those in the worship ministry see. While at Memorial Baptist in Frankfort, we decided on these five: integrity, community, excellence, creativity and evaluation. Click here to see more.

One last thought--we need to get better in church-world, and I need to continue to improve personally, at helping one another become more like Jesus: to offer correction, to encourage personal holiness. More verses that may help you develop a Christ-like conviction about how to walk together as a faith community:
   "...if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently." - Galatians 6:1
   "First, take the log out of your own eye. Then you can see how to take the speck out of your friend's eye." - Matthew 7:5

So my best counsel is this: develop a culture where people are open to spiritual development--by going first--while building a team of volunteers that share a desire for the same, with a positive attitude. Oh, and get your lead pastor on board. First. For sure.

Hope that helps!

Now... anything to add, wise friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment