Wednesday, March 6, 2013

What do we lead?

When you think of yourself as a worship leader, what do you lead?

Music? (Song Leader)

Worship? (Worship Leader)

People? (Church Leader)

This distinction has been clamoring for attention in the back of my mind for a while. It hints at an older blog post, but goes a step further.

I'm VERY curious to read your observations.

I am usually asked to lead music for events. Revivals. Services. Meetings. And it seems right, doesn't it? I am a musical guy trained pretty thoroughly in music--a BA in Vocal Performance from Georgetown College and a Masters in Church Music from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. I've been taught music theory, had singing lessons, even a pretty intense level of study of hymns.

Sometimes I've been invited to lead worship. Those tend to be the invitations from folks more up on terminology. And there seems to be a difference. The training I have as a student of the Bible and theology come through. I generally feel more freedom to pray, lead others to pray, introduce songs with scripture, etc. Again, it seems right. I chose to be trained in a way that goes far beyond making music.

But the more I think about what I do, and the more comfortable I get in the stride of doing it, the more I'm convinced of the importance of leading people. Not music, unless it is leading people to make music. Not worship, unless I am encouraging people to worship. People. My job is to lead people.

I yearn to lead the People of God into the Presence of God to celebration the Provision of God through the Person of God in Christ Jesus.

This drives the way I choose music, prepare music, and pay attention to the folks in the room.

The people.

That's the kind of leadership I yearn to offer.

How about you? Does that resonate with you other worship leaders?

1 comment:

  1. Over nearly 48 years of music ministry my self concept has changed as the needs of my churches have changed. I started out standing behind the pulpit, waving my right arm in the patterns I had learned from a study course book and leading hymns. Now I often lead from a keyboard and do my best to point worshipers to a holy God who is worthy of praise. If I had another 50 years to give to it I might get it right! Steve Hall

    ReplyDelete