Friday, March 1, 2013

One Creative Process 15, ROAD TRIPS!

After the team was in tact and getting our feet under us, we attended the Worship Arts Conference at Willow Creek, near Chicago. It was a powerful time. Seriously, it rocked my world; our world. We enjoyed every aspect of the event.

But the van ride home was the most helpful part.

It was over those 6-7 hours that we processed what we'd seen. It's where we figured out how to apply what we saw to where we "lived and moved and had our being."

And sometime between that conference and time to sign up for the next one, I started thinking about alternatives. There weren't any conferences that were affordable and available to us--that I could find anyway--and so I came up with one of my very favorite ideas ever!

Why not create our own conference? I knew my friend and mentor Dave Bullock would have much to speak into us from his (then) position at Elmbrook Church in Wisconsin. And between Frankfort, KY and the Milwaukee area, there were lots of great churches. So I started researching online. I just looked at a map, thought about people and churches I knew, then started looking for churches I didn't yet know. I visited dozens and dozens of web sites. I'd go to their "worship" and "what to expect" pages. If it looked like they were doing the kinds of things we were doing but were further along, I'd send an email to the worship pastor and see if we could take them out for a meal.

So we did it. I had tour t-shirts made up. I planned a couple of team-building fun events (Dave & Busters, Community Theater performances, Art Museums, movie, baseball game, etc.) to help us have a good time. I planned some of our meeting time to come up with questions we'd want to ask. I created a notebook so we could each take notes from our unique perspectives. I made hotel reservations--or we stayed in the homes of family and friends.

As much as I LOVED the Willow Arts Conference, this road trip was better for our team. We talked with some of the finest leaders, thinkers, and Christ-followers in the nation. They didn't think of themselves that way, but we were inspired, encouraged, energized, and equipped by our 5 days on the road.

So we did it again the next year--6 churches in 5 days. And it was even better.

I'm sure this isn't for everyone, and I'm not sure I'd want to do it every year, but it is an idea I highly commend to you to filter through your place, your personality and your team. Then do something with them. Maybe it is a 2 day trip. Maybe a weekend. Maybe you just go to two places on one Saturday. And perhaps there are only 2 or 3 of you who go. It doesn't matter. But getting outside of  your context will almost certainly give you better perspective on your context.

In case you're wondering, here are the churches we visited:
in 2007:
  • Ginghamsburg Church in Tipp City, Ohio
  • Fairhaven Church in Dayton, Ohio
  • Chapel Rock Church in Indianapolis, Indiana
  • Harvest Bible Church in Chicago, Illinois
  • Elmbrook Church in Brookfield, Wisconsin
and in 2008:
  • Grace Baptist Church in Knoxville, Tennessee
  • NewSpring Church in Anderson, South Carolina
  • Mosaic Church in Easley, South Carolina
  • Beach Church in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
  • Seacoast Church in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
  • North Point Community Church in Alpharetta, Georgia

The creativity of these places fueled the creativity in our place. I think doing something similar may fuel the creativity in your soul, in your ministry, and in your church. If you'd like to hire a Worship Coach to help with this process (not to be a travel agent, though) I have a pretty good idea where you could find one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment