Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Strength Determiner?

I've been pondering something for a few weeks. Maybe you can help me discern its truth?

If you've read much of my blog, you know I prefer the positive side of things, encouragement, hope, etc. But today I want to offer a word of caution.

I think the church may be largely impotent in our culture because of how impotent the object of our worship is.

Let me try again.

I think maybe we are failing miserably at bringing God's Kingdom to earth because Sunday mornings reflect so little of His Kingdom.

Upsetting?

I'm increasingly convinced that marriages are failing, life is not cherished, and addictions are prevailing inside the church because what we really worship on Sundays is, in the spiritual realm, pitiful.

I wonder if you're steaming mad, mildly curious or just confused.

Perhaps this will help.

Idols are powerless hunks of wood.

North American Idols are powerless human creations.

The most prevalent idol--or object of our worship--in the US church is the worshiper.

And if any sociological observation can be easily demonstrated over the last half century in the US, it is that we are powerless to change ourselves.

The incredible irony is that the One true and living God, Jesus Christ, is the source of unfathomable power. He restores marriages, He teaches us to sanctify life--all life, He breaks addictions. He can--and did--bring God's Kingdom from heaven to earth.

While I am increasingly fearful that this is an accurate description of the churches I see around the country, I'm not as sure how to break the idol of self in churches so comfortably nestled in our consumeristic culture.

Except perhaps, that we return our attention to one of God's top ten list: "You must not have any other God but me." (Exodus 20:3) 

As worship leaders, we can keep pointing people to God. That means pointing them away from music, from technology, from worship leaders, from ourselves.

What about you? Agree with my concern? Have any suggestions to offer?

No comments:

Post a Comment