Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Worship Leaders: Mattaniah or Binnui?


I’m reading the Bible through this year. Haven’t done that in a while, so it is taking some serious commitment on my impatient part to read through things like lists of names in Nehemiah, where the city of Jerusalem is being restored.

Then it happened. Not a big thing, but a great reminder for those of us who lead in worship.

See if you see what I saw?

Chapter 11, vs. 17: “Also Mattaniah son of Mica, son of Zabdi, a descendant of Asaph, who led in thanksgiving and prayer. Also Bakbukiah, who was Mattaniah’s assistant, and Abda son of Shammua, son of Galal, son of Jeduthun.”

And just a few verses later, in chapter 12, “The Levites who returned with them were Jeshua, Binnui, Kadmiel, Sherebiah, Judah, and Mattaniah, who with his associates was in charge of the songs of thanksgiving.” (vs. 8)

Do you see a difference? I did. And maybe it’s just me, but it really jumped out.

I’d rather people think of me as one who “led in thanksgiving and prayer” than one who was “in charge of the songs of thanksgiving.”

What do you think?

Semantics or totally different leadership pictures?

No comments:

Post a Comment