Sunday, October 21, 2012

Should Worship Be Great? pt. 2

In Steven Furtick's book Sun Stand Still, there is a chapter titled "The Simplest Systematic Theology Ever" in which he claims "the scope and impact of your vision will be determined by who you believe God is."

Agreed?

I am going to be so bold as to piggy back on his statement and contend that the scope and impact of our vision for worship gatherings will be determined by who we believe God is.

So far, if you're a leader in worship, I'd imagine you're with me.

I imagine we'd also cheer a rather familiar quote offered by Furtick in that same chapter, this one from  A. W. Tozer: "What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us... Were we able to extract from any man a complete answer to the question, 'What comes into your mind when you think about God?' we might predict with certainty the spiritual future of that man."

So Pastor Steven boils down his view of God--his systematic theology--to this:

God is great.
God is good.

Again, I imagine while we are silently chanting the children's meal-time blessing, we are still in agreement.

And here's where I start with my belief that worship gatherings should be great.

Since God is great, and since we are made in the image of God (though broken, redeemed and being restored) and since we are to worship a great God, then shouldn't our worship be great?

And at this point in the journey I'm not talking about great singers or great preachers or even things like great screen content--though we will get to those.

I'm talking about the content of our worship. 

Worship should be for, about, and with God.

God is great.

Worship should be GREAT! 

Great is the Lord! He is most worthy of praise!
    No one can measure his greatness. (Psalm 145:3)


And I am eager to help every church I can, in every way I can, have great worship. For more about how I may be able to serve your chuch as a "Worship Coach," shoot me an email at RodEEllis@aol.com or text/call my cell at 502.229.0114.

No comments:

Post a Comment