Monday, October 15, 2012

Time = __________


I had some minor shoulder surgery a few days ago. It was outpatient, so I was back to normal health pretty quickly except I couldn’t use my right (dominant) arm. Between that and the fact that I currently get to work only two part-time jobs, both of which I do mostly from home, I’ve been around the house a whole lot more than in the last week or two.

Our dog Cooper loves that. He doesn’t get left locked in the kitchen for 7 or 8 hours a day. In fact, he’s spent less than an hour locked in the kitchen for most of the last two weeks.

And you know what I’ve noticed?

The more time Cooper spends with me, the more obedient he is.

The more we communicate, the better he gets at giving me cues about going outside. It’s not just that. When I call, he comes. I’d say we’re up to 90% of the time now. A month ago? 50% at best.

When I ask him to do his tricks, he gets them right the first time. He’s even doing tricks easily that he used to struggle with. 

The lesson about walking with God may be too obvious to state, but I’ll risk it.

The more time I spend with my Master, the more obedient I am.

And usually--at this stage in my walk with Jesus--it is obedience of attitude more than actions. (To those who know me well... I did say USUALLY!)

Now, I have a LONG way to go in having “the same attitude of Christ Jesus.” (Phil 2:5) But the more time I spend wallowing in God’s word... the more time I spend participating in prayer... the more time I spend trying to think His thoughts... the more time I spend inviting His heart to invade my heart.. the more obedient I am.

Conversely, the less time I take to read from His word to me, or listen for His voice, or consider His ways, or allow myself to be touched by the things that undoubtedly touch Him... in those times I care less. I am less sold out to having a Jesus-attitude.

Bottom line? Time with my Master makes me more obedient.

Sorta like Cooper.

No comments:

Post a Comment