Friday, October 19, 2012

Should Worship Be Great?

This whole idea of "Worship Coach"--the blog, the consulting, the Facebook page--is an effort on my part to use the dozens of things I've learned about leading a worship ministry to serve those who may not have had the chance to make as many mistakes as I have. 

Seriously!

Especially during the 7 years I was honored to serve with Memorial Baptist Church in Frankfort, KY, the team I designed and led had tremendous freedom and struck out often. (We had lots of base hits and some home runs, too.) So I learned a great deal, and would like to share with pastors and worship leaders some of those learnings.

Spiritual.

Relational.

Musical.

Organizational.

Managerial.

Educational.

And more words that may or may not end in "al".

That's why I've been working on a brochure to give out to friends in church-world who might be able to benefit from my mistakes (or what I've learned through them, anyway). And in an effort to articulate the ways I hope to serve, I have found it difficult to find just the right words.

On the front of that brochure, across the top, it currently says:
Worship Coach
Make Your Worship Gatherings Great!

"I will sing with my spirit but I will also sing with my mind."
I Cor 14:15b

And given my propensity to seek input, I've shown the prototype to about a dozen people. I have had two of those people, both of whom I respect immensely, object to the word "great." 

So I decided to ponder, research a little, pray more than that, and write a series of blog posts about why that makes sense to me. I haven't printed the brochure yet, so your questions and comments may help me finish up that design.

Next time: "God is great, God is good" and what that may mean for worship gatherings.

3 comments:

  1. Sing to the Lord, all the earth;
    proclaim his salvation day after day 1 Chronicles 16:23 Worship is a lifestyle, not just a church service event, we should be worshiping day in and day out. We should always be in a state of worship and praise! I know what you are doing will be great Rod!! God's blessings on you and your family. Love you guys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christy! Our family loves your family too!!!

      Delete
  2. yeah man. keep encouraging the church towards this end!

    ReplyDelete