Friday, September 21, 2012

Inspiring the Bride of Christ

So last time I confessed that I wonder... "Is the world paying any attention to the Bride (church) and Bridegroom (Jesus) at all?"

The stuff I read from church growth gurus and research geeks (all of whom are great people, I'm sure) would say the folks living day-to-day chaotic lives have very little reason to think of the church. They may think of God or other spiritual things. But the church? Not so much.

And if they do, there's not a lot of beauty beheld.

I didn't say there isn't beauty to behold, just that they don't see it.

And so I wonder why that is.

In yesterday's post, I talked about how Darren Whitehead saw it.

When you and I see the church care for those in the church, we see it.

In fact, quite often, you and I are probably benefactors of the benevolence of the Bride of Christ.

So here I go wondering again...

--Is the church beautiful but the wedding audience--the world--can't see it?
--Is the church beautiful but the world just doesn't look?
--Is the church marred by Her fallenness too deeply to appear beautiful to the world?
--Has the church lost Her way, so unlike in the 1st centuries AD we have lost our beauty?
--If so, what can we do to reclaim our beautiful appearance? Will it take minor changes or major ones?

When I listen to Andy Stanley and John Ortberg talk about the way the church of the 1st century absolutely changed the ways of the world through compassion and valuing life, I'm inspired.

And then I wonder... who am I inspiring? (I'm not looking for a pat on the back here; promise)

And then, because I'm in my late 40s, I wonder who will inspire my kids.

I just really wonder a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment