Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Bible as My Authority

I'm looking for a job. It feels pretty awkward, having invested in lots of education, and having lots of great experience, and having lots of encouraging friends and former church folks. It's just awkward. I don't think I'm ashamed, but I'm certainly not proud. (for once!) I don't think I'm depressed, but I'm not all that happy either. I know I'm not messed up, but still--I feel pretty messy.

In the context of that whirlwind of circumstances and emotions, I had a conversation with a pastor recently about one of my job possibilities. In that chat we talked about the Bible. He was a little concerned with my view of scripture, as many Baptists have been concerned with each others view of scripture for the last 30 years or so.

And so I spent some more time thinking on it. Honestly, I think about God's word to us every day. It is a major part of my life. 

Here's a portion of what I wrote to my pastor friend:

I love the Bible. It is the (my) authority for living an abundant life. If I think something in the Bible is wrong, I'm wrong. It is always true. I am not. 

Which makes me think of one of my favorite congregational songs, "Speak, O Lord." The first part of that text says:

Speak, O Lord, as we come to You
To receive the food of Your Holy Word.
Take Your truth, plant it deep in us;
Shape and fashion us in Your likeness,
That the light of Christ might be seen today
In our acts of love and our deeds of faith.
Speak, O Lord, and fulfill in us
All Your purposes for Your glory.



For more about the song, click here: http://gettymusic.com/hymns-speakolord.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment