Monday, February 18, 2013

One Creative Process 8, Tech Coordinator

As mentioned in a previous post, I don't particularly like asking people to do things, even things I know they want to do. I'm pretty sure there's some clinical help I could get, but I haven't yet. Anyway, that's a big part of why I originally wanted to have a tech coordinator. But as I'll share below, the benefits were far greater.

Not only did this person handle the scheduling of folks to run sound and screens (and eventually lighting) they also worked as part of the creative team. As I've also mentioned, having sold-out, all-in people around the table was an essential part of our effectiveness.

But what I didn't mention yet, and what was incredibly helpful with this particular position, was that every time we started to get into the implementation part of our discussion my tech coordinator was in the room. They were able to start trying to figure out how to make things happen that required technology and personnel. It wasn't up to me to remember and re-articulate a vision; they were part of creating it. The more technologically involved the particular plan was, the more helpful this dynamic was.

There's another angle to the team approach I've not mentioned yet: they helped me administratively. When it came time for creating a budget, each team member would dream about what the necessities and possibilities were. We'd prioritize them together. Of course it was ultimately my call what to turn in, but we had such great synergy that I'd have been a fool to vary significantly from what the team envisioned.

So by now I imagine you're getting a fuller picture of why this was so helpful, especially if you've read all of the posts in the series. The team wasn't just a group of people to carry out tasks, it wasn't just a group of people to imagine and design creative worship gatherings, it wasn't just a team of people to share responsibility and accountability, and it wasn't just a team of people to walk together spiritually. It was all of that and more.

Next time the last position: Drama & Dance Coordinator.


A word about my Worship Coach consulting--the most impact I've seen in the churches I've visited has been with the tech/media/production teams. If you could use some help in that area, let me know. I'd be honored to talk about what I might be able to do that would serve you and your church!

No comments:

Post a Comment