Thursday, April 18, 2013

Not for the beginner?

From Jesus... "Love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! (Matthew 5:44)


From Paul... "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse." (Rom 12:4)

From Rod... SERIOUSLY?

I am intrigued by this massive challenge, these land mines of love.

Let me start with this: you and I seldom choose to make someone an enemy. I get that. Our enemy is the evil one, not the person in the fourth row of the sanctuary. But the reality of doing ministry in a fallen, broken world is that others will choose to be our enemies. That makes me sad. Very sad. But it is our reality.

And let me add this: these commands from Jesus and Paul can't be done by trying harder, by willpower. I've been pondering some aspect or another of these verses for years and I am discovering that only as "Christ-in-me" grows can I begin to bless and love my enemies. As time with God through the spiritual disciplines does the work of training me in righteousness, I am in a better position to extend blessing to those who curse me.

So how do you do this?

When the driver of that car flips you off, how do you love that enemy? How do you return their curse with blessing?

Or harder, when someone in your church speaks poorly of you, how do you actively engage in enemy-love?

Harder still, if someone in your ministry circle at your church is persecuting you, what ways do you find to bless them?

I wish I had a long list of the things I've done through the years. I really do. But this is a rather recent part of my Christian journey. As of this writing I'll have to be satisfied with a measly three things to share. My great hope is that you will be able to comment with many more ideas!

First, for the guy who flips me off... I take a breath, smile back and wave happily... usually.

Second, for the church member who decides I'm the enemy... I have learned to lovingly offer relational healing. I pursue them. I want to--as far as it depends upon me--live at peace with all people.

And third, for the person in the ministry circle I'm part of leading, I pray, seek counsel from my supervisor, and show greater care and compassion for that person than I might for others.

Bottom line: we can learn to treat people because of the way WE are, rather than the way THEY behave.

OK. It's your turn. Push back for dialogue if you'd like. I'm really hoping you will be able to help all of us by tossing more ideas for enemy-love and lavish-blessing.

2 comments:

  1. I remember a time where the largest source of angst in my ministerial life and the greatest public assault on my character (whatever that's worth!) was from a couple serving in my area of ministry. Given the parameters of the dynamics of this couple in relation to the church there was nothing I could do but "gut it out" in prayer, fasting and abiding in Christ.

    One morning I was reading 2 Samuel 16, where David was running away from Absalom, his own son. I remember reading how Shimei, an angry remnant from the house of Saul, cursed David and threw rocks at him. David, rather than allowing his guards to remove the man's head, asked "if he (Shimei) is cursing because the Lord has said to him 'Curse David,' who then shall say, 'Why have you done so?'" Yeah, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I realized that morning that sometimes the very people we see as rock throwers against us are actually tools that God is using to transform me.

    Interestingly, the very couple who wished me harm were actually doing me a huge favor! What I learned through them has served me well.Everything - the good, the bad and the ugly - are all under God's authority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good word! That is a powerful story...and from a worship leader, King David. Thanks!

      Delete