Monday, April 22, 2013

At Kroger? Really?

I was checking out. Just stopped in to grab a few things, not a weekly trip. So I went to the self-checkout and all was going well 'til I scanned my daughter's eye liner. The scale wouldn't recognize that I'd put it in the bag. You've been there, right? (Maybe not with eyeliner, granted.)

Well, when the scale didn't acknowledge my item the attendant came over. I quickly imagined this was his retirement job. He was friendly enough. Joked around that "after all, it is a woman's voice in this machine." I chuckled. It was clever. No big deal. 

After he walked away I guess he felt some sort of connection, so he decided to go a couple of steps further, just doing some general woman-bashing.

Now I'm not sure why, I don't typically do stuff like this, but I happily replied, "well I sure am glad I didn't marry a woman like that." I wasn't angry about it. I wasn't condemning. I just stood up for the dignity and value of my bride. 

You might say that, for once, I loved my wife like Jesus loves the church.

So on the drive home I started pondering even more...

I also have two daughters. I really don't want the men in their lives to think of them the way that man was talking. I don't want those men even talking about women like that. I sure don't want the men they will marry to treat them that way!

And then it became even clearer as I processed it. I wonder how many of us bash the church, the bride of Christ. And I wonder how Jesus defends her. And I wonder if Jesus has ever had to defend the church--His bride--when I've said something that would trouble Him.

Just one of those brief encounters that makes me go "hmmmmmmmm."

Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I believe the answer to how Jesus defends His bride is found in Matthew 5. Steve Hall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. Such an incredible passage, the Sermon on the Mount. I am increasingly aware of something a dear older friend pointed out to me 3-4 years ago: much of out culture is about women bashing men and men bashing women. Pretty sure that's the opposite of "outdoing one another in honor."

      Delete