Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Worship Style Convo?

I promise. I was just reading. I wasn't trying to be creative, innovative, or insightful. I was just reading Paul's letter to the church in ancient Corinth and wondering if God would have a word to share with me about my walk with Jesus.

And then, it hit me. If we imagined the words of this paragraph to be about musical style, would it serve the way churches talk about worship services?

Let's try it. Remember, I've re-imagined the passage, so 
1 Corinthians 1:10-13 doesn't really read like this:

"I appeal to you, dear brothers and sisters, by the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ, to live in harmony with each other. Let there be no divisions in the church. Rather, be of one mind, united in thought and purpose. For some members of Chloe’s household have told me about your quarrels, my dear brothers and sisters. Some of you are saying, “I like new songs.” Others are saying, “I like the old stuff,” or “I prefer hymns, ” or “I miss the old days.” Has Christ been divided into factions? Was music crucified for you? Were any of you baptized with music? Of course not!"

Can this help us think about musical styles any differently? 

One thing for sure, our churches need to be encouraged every bit as much as the church in Corinth was to choose "to live in harmony with each other. Let there be no divisions in the church."

Leaders, remind those you serve. Ministry folks, encourage one another.

And if we do this like Paul, we do this by the authority of Jesus. That's a lot of authority!

Speak the truth in love, and with authority, to live in harmony. (Gotta love that pun!)

No comments:

Post a Comment