Monday, March 15, 2021

Bible Reading Plans (Suggestions)

A friend recently asked for a few "Bible Plan" suggestions. She knows I use the YouVersion app daily and that I've been through several plans.

After I replied to her email it occurred to me that some of you might be interested as well.

So here goes... my top 12 of the 135 or so that I've completed so far.

"The Book of Mysteries" This is my top pick. It is highly creative and aimed at creative people. If you are uncomfortable with holy imagination, you may not like it. (14 days)

"Get Out of Your Head" with Jennie Allen. Jennie speaks Biblical truth that our U.S. culture desperately needs to know! The devotionals are excerpts from her book of the same name. The bottom line? How can interacting with Scripture deliver us from anxiety. (5 days)

"The Third Option" with Miles McPherson. Another reading plan pulled from McPherson's book of the same name, this one provides insight into a Biblical approach to racial reconciliation. It doesn't have to be the black option or the while option. There's a third option -- and it's in the Bible! (7 days)

"Divine Direction" with Craig Groeschel. Another plan pulled from a book, Craig gives us 7 days of Biblical insight into decision making towards our Godly destiny. His teachings are always solid, straightforward, and immediately implementable.

"Thriving in Babylon" with Larry Osborne. Larry captured my attention with his best-selling book "Accidental Pharisees," so my expectations for this 7 day plan were very high. It didn't disappoint. As our culture becomes increasingly post-Christian, teachings like these will be more and more helpful.

"The Rock the Road and the Rabbi" with Kathy Lee Gifford. The TV star/actress/singer seems to have a strong connection to the Holy Land and the Jewish roots of Jesus. I found this one interesting and insightful. (7 days)

"Right People, Right Place, Right Plan" with Jentezen Franklin. So many of the conversations I have--about my life or the lives of those I journey with--are about finding God's direction, about God's will. This plan isn't magical, but it is solid and helpful. (7 days)

"Radical Wisdom: A 7-Day Journey for Husbands" with Regi Campbell. One of my favorite things about the YouVersion reading plans is the ability to find categories to explore. After being married for nearly 34 years, I am keenly aware of my need to be a better husband. This plan was helpful in my quest.

"Biblical Secrets to a Happy Marriage" with Shaunti Feldhahn. Another reading plan about marriage, but with the slant of a researcher. These 14 days are crammed with helpful insights, and I love that her research points us to scripture!

Craig & Amy Groeschel's "From This Day Forward." Another 7 day plan about how to have a great marriage, this one offers the insights from both genders. They explore five commitments: seek God, fight fair, have fun, stay pure, and never give up.

"Luke Explained: The Life of Jesus." This plan goes all the way through the gospel of Luke, a chapter a day. I read it with friends, which is one of my favorite ways to use the YouVersion Bible app. (24 days)

"Habit of Happiness" with Rick Warren. Sometimes called "America's pastor," Warren has his hand on the pulse of people like few in our day. This devotional is a journey through Philippians and reminds us that happiness can be a choice more than a circumstance. (37 days)

BONUS -- if you'd like to read through the Bible in a year, I suggest "Bible in One Year" with Nicky Gumbel. Nicky is the pastor of Holy Trinity Brompton (London, England) and the founder of the Alpha Course used all over the world. You can even hear Nicky read the plan if you'd prefer. (365 days)

No comments:

Post a Comment