Thursday, January 10, 2013

Softened?

Pastor Dwight Moody, at the ordination service for my nephew, Jeremy, preached a passionate sermon about the calling to faithful, gospel ministry. It was really great. (Read more in "A Father's Pride, blog post for January 7.)

One phrase he used caught my ear: "We cannot soften the gospel."

I agree. The gospel is not soft, it is strong. It can even be sharp, especially when it cuts against our pride and self-sufficiency.

But the thought that came to me at the very moment Dwight spoke those wise words was: "But the gospel must soften us."

And one of my favorite verses of scripture was quickly on the heels of that thought: "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh." Ezekiel 36:26

And that makes me think of a great, modern classic anthem by Craig Courtney, "Here I Am, Lord." (Actually the song is by Dan Schutte, but Craig wrote a stunning arrangement.)

But back to the point, I wonder--if we're not being softened by the gospel, have we softened it?

2 comments:

  1. I am sure you're aware of the Puritan proverb, "The same sun that melts the ice, hardens the clay." I love the freedom that this truth has brought to my life. The same offensive gospel will soften some people's hearts while hardening others. Our job is not to soften the gospel, but to pray for those with whom we are sharing that God will soften their hearts through the gospel. Thanks for the insight today Uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good word, Jeremy. I love that Christ-followers are increasingly holding one another accountable for this "softness." It is the gospel that can't be softened, not the messengers.

    And I suppose the clay--in the Puritan proverb--are those far from God. Surely not those who claim to follow the teachings of Jesus. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete