Monday, May 4, 2020

3 Learnings from Leading Worship in an Empty Room

In March and April of 2020, most of us have been leading worship for an online (only) congregation. It appears this will, for many, stretch into May. I've been standing in front of congregations for nearly 30 years, trying to help them sing, to worship. Counting morning, evening, mid-week, and special/multiple services, that probably means I've led worship well over 5,000 times.

That didn't prepare me for the empty room.

This has been so much harder on many than on me--like my cousin, who is a medical professional in New York City. But still, it's hard.

And I've learned a lot.

These three stand out as top of the list.
1) Private worship matters.
2) Preparation matters.
3) People matter.

So none of those are new for you either?

But my goodness... I know them so much more deeply now!

First, private worship matters. If I cannot worship Jesus alone, and be completely comfortable with it, there is no way I can authentically worship Jesus on the platform with others and do it well. That may speak to my own limitations, but I don't think so. The better I am at loving Jesus alone, the better I will be at helping others love Jesus.

Second, preparation matters. A room full of people and a platform crammed with leaders is very forgiving. If I miss a note, a word, even an entrance, the people around me can pick me up. Have my back. But in an empty room and very few people serving with me, my failures are exposed. The best way to limit failures is to prepare deeply. Thoroughly.

Third, people matter. I have written about it before: we don't lead music; we lead people. As worship leaders, part of what makes us effective is to "read the room." We pick up on the cues of those we serve, and we sing faster, slower, louder, softer, repeat a chorus or cut a song short. (When the people are finished singing, we might as well stop the song!) But we can't read an empty room. This has been the hardest part for me. I miss the people terribly.

So as we walk back into (less) crowded rooms in a few weeks, let me encourage you as I'm challenging myself:
1) Worship alone every day, even if only for 5-10 minutes.
2) Know the songs you're singing/playing/tech-ing better than ever.
3) Serve the people by leading with sensitivity to their needs and dreams.

Now... what are YOU learning in this unprecedented season? Whether you are a worship pastor, worship leader, or worshiper, I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment