Monday, April 13, 2020

The Idol of People

I idolize people all the time. I'm terrible about this! While I know God does not show favoritism (according to Rom 2:22), I do. I hate this about myself. And I do it in two ways.

First, just to be brutally honest, I too often think too highly of people. Celebrity preachers or worship leaders feel like they are beyond my reach. I'm sometimes intimidated to reach out on social media or by email. I think they are, somehow, better than I am. Busier than I am. Holier than I am.

When I go to a worship event led by one of the mega-influential bands or worship writers of our day, I look on them with wonder and awe, emotions that should be--that MUST BE--reserved for the God we worship. I do this with preachers, too. Those I listen to via podcast, or read in their books.

But pedestals are made for idols, not for people.

I wonder if you do this as well.

There's another side to my idolatry... to my pride.

The second way I show favoritism is to myself. When anyone on the platform -- preacher, vocalist, instrumentalist, etc -- does not seem to be leading the way I think is right, I can be dismissive. That sounds bad, doesn't it?

It gets worse.

Because when I dismiss those people, I end up dismissing Christ-in-them. (Col 1:27)

Lord, have mercy!

Tragically, the very presence of God that is in those made in His glorious image is lost. At least on me. And perhaps, depending on how 'on display' my idolatry is, it is lost on others as well.

Image-bearers and presence-carriers bring the hope of glory to me. And I miss it.

As I said in the post that introduced this series, oh how this must grieve the heart of God!

Now, may I be even more honest?

I'm sometimes the person that people put on a pedestal or look down on. And this breaks my heart. I am not more or less than anyone. You and I are made in the same image, broken by the same sin, and covered by the same righteousness.

Wouldn't we all be better served if we looked for Jesus in everyone?

And recognize that the same Jesus is in us, as in in everyone?

I'm deeply curious... how do you avoid putting yourself or others on a pedestal? What do you DO or THINK that rescues you from idolizing people?

No comments:

Post a Comment