Tuesday, April 21, 2020

The Idol of Musical Style

[DISCLAIMER] I am serving the best church I've ever known. This has never been the issue at Woodburn Baptist that it has been in other churches I've served or in churches I hear about. My pastor has led through the "worship war" part of history with wisdom and grace. I am certainly not targeting  any individual or any church. It is a post for Christendom. For me and you.]

We have become far too tolerant of the idol of musical style.

There. I've said it.

Far too tolerant.

For nearly 35 years I have led worship as part of a church staff. That's about 1800 weeks. Most of those weeks someone has been upset over musical style in worship. And by most, I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 1750 of them.

Far too tolerant.

God is not so hesitant: "I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods." (Deuteronomy 5:9, emphasis mine)

That's actually part of commandment #3. Yes, that #3. Of the Ten Commandments.

You may say, "But my love for old hymns, or new songs, or loud drums, or organ sounds... those aren't gods!"

Can I be bold? I often see more impassioned posts on social media about the style of music than the saving grace of Jesus.

If an idol is anything that gets between me and God--takes my affection away from God and puts it on something else--then surely musical style is an idol in the modern church.

I have been screamed at. I have been cried on. I have gotten letters that are pages long. I have had my job threatened. I have had annual reviews with a personnel committee where my performance was called into question.

All over musical style.
  • Not the amount of prayer in our services; Jesus was pretty big on that one. (Mt 21:13)
  • Not the theology of lyrics; that seems like a pretty big deal. (2 Tim 1:13)
  • Not the level of engagement of the people; God is seeking those who will worship (that's a verb) him. (Jn 4:23)
Musical style.

If you don't think it is an idol, can I just be so bold as to say... there's a chance you may be the idolator.

Of course I don't know your heart. I'm not accusing you. Remember, through this whole series on idolatry, I've been journeying with you as a confessor.

I have idolized musical style too.

I once visited a hero of mine in the ministry. It was early on; I was under 30. It was upon that visit that I discovered he had, in my mind, "sold out" to musical style. I confess to you that I thought less of him that day. Makes me want to throw up to think of it now.

I have good news: God has a 100% track record of welcome repentant sinners like me. Like some of you. Every time we confess, every time, he is faithful to forgive.

And so maybe this is where your repentance starts. Think differently about musical style so you can start behaving differently around style. Get to the other side of music you don't like so you can give your heart to the Savior you love.

Maybe you will be able to say, along with Harold Best, retired professor of music at Wheaton College and one of the godliest, smartest men I've ever known:

"Let the music come. Traditional, contemporary, avant-garde, ethnic, jazz, rock and chat... rejoice in it. Dance with David in it... Let the emotions roll and the endorphins break their dikes. But for Jesus Christ's sake, let's get music back where it belongs--as a lisping sign and not a glittering cause, as the response to a commandment and not just a set of tools for influencing people."

If you need help, I'd be honored to walk this journey with you, one recovering idol-worshiper to another. If you disagree, and I suspect more than a few of you will, I'd love to see your civil thinking in the comments below. Seriously.



If you want a couple more quotes that might help, here you are. They are from a book I just finished called "Preaching as Worship."
  • "It seems to me that if a church splits over music, that music has become more important than togetherness in itself." -- Keith Getty
  • "Whenever worshipers choose music out of personal preference (whether traditional or contemporary), they are in danger of excluding others and causing disunity." -- Michael Quicke

3 comments:

  1. Every major religion has gone through Reformation over several thousand years and most of them have successfully included singing and music in their celebration of life and their devotion to God with the spoken word the gospel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the older religions Jewish Muslim Catholic they believe that if you sing a prayer it is twice as good as saying one they also believe the highest form of Charity is to do things anonymously

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Michael. One preacher said, "To sing is to pray twice." So good!

      Delete