Monday, November 4, 2019

I don't need to come to rehearsal, right?

I've been at my church for more than six years. That's a pretty long time, according to the average ministry tenure.

And nearly every week -- by now that's about 325 of them -- someone will either ask the question or make the assumption: I don't need to come to rehearsal, right? Every week.

I get it. We're busy people. Conflicts are on the calendar before we accept the invitation to be on the team, and far more often conflicts arise after we've accepted.

Not only that, but some folks -- especially those in the tech booth or on more orchestral instruments -- don't feel like they are core to the rehearsal process. I understand. I play tuba. If there's a rehearsal, I can probably skip it and look over the music on my own. There'd be no discernible difference in the quality of my playing on a Sunday.

But there are lots of reasons to be in rehearsal. More than just the five below, but when chatting with a young member of our team recently these five came to mind.

If you're part of a team in our church or another, I encourage you to consider this list. And if you're the leader of a team, maybe they can help you serve those you lead. I'd sure love to see any reasons you'd add to my quick handful!

1) You get to prepare. For those in the tech booth, this is the only practice you get. A guitar player can practice at home with his instrument. A sound/graphics/lighting/camera operator can only practice when there are people on stage, doing their thing. Back to my example above, I can practice my tuba part, but I can't practice playing with the ensemble. This is a big deal.

2) Everyone else gets to practice with you. Singers/band members get used to the mix from the sound tech, the singers gets used to taking their cues from the screens, the pianist knows where to leave in/take out a part duplicated with the electric guitar lead part, and on and on I could go. You change the dynamics when you're in the room. That affects everyone else--positively!

3) Changes are made in rehearsals, not on Sundays. This can affect anyone in any role, but our context it usually comes to the tech team. We'll change screen content (scripture verses in interludes) and backgrounds, lighting, gain structure on the sound console--which affects in-ear monitors, and even who sings when or what instruments are in or out. In other words, rehearsal isn't just to get what we know to do right, it's to create together what is possible. If you're not with us, our creativity is limited.

4) There's a cascading effect to #3. There are implications for others on the team. So if we change a background for a song, then lighting design is affected. If the vocals are tight and the moment is just right, we might have the band drop out. If the band is struggling in a spot, we might simplify or any number of other solutions. Everyone being together brings clarity and helps us get everything together.

5) There is a communal effort to leading worship. We're a team. The vocalists, instrumentalists, and tech crew are all on one team. We practice together. We pray together. We do life together. It's hard to do things together when one of us is missing.

Of course things come up. Sickness happens. Family obligations change at the last minute. School schedule things at the last minute.

Grace abounds! That's why we lead graciously, because we are the moment-by-moment recipients of grace. But grace without truth is not Biblical grace. I'm simply offering a little perspective that may be missing in your journey.

Oh, one more thing. If you're on the team -- mine or anyone else's -- we WANT you there. We love it when you're with us. We love you. We need you.

Alright... hit me with some comments on what you'd add or why you disagree!

No comments:

Post a Comment