Monday, October 21, 2019

Calendaring by Priority

I've always been pretty attached to my calendar. Back in the day it was a "Week-at-a-Glance" paper product. 

Well, not always actually. There was a time that I tried to remember everything. But one day I totally forgot to meet someone for a lunch meeting. It was important to me, but slipped my mind at the worst time.

And that day I committed, "NO MORE!"

So now I spend time every week, and often 3-4 times a week, simply managing my calendar. While that may sound cumbersome, it actually gives me great freedom. I don't have to try to remember stuff.

I tell my calendar what I want to do, then my calendar tells me what to do. It's wonderful!

Here's a glimpse into my approach. I sure hope it helps you!

I calendar recurring events first — study time, gym time, worship services, weekly rehearsals, staff meetings, etc.

Then I calendar big chunks — vacation, prayer retreats, writing days, long-range planning sessions.

And before I get over-booked, I calendar other family events third — date nights, family day-trips, activities with the kids, etc.

And then--and this is important--I calendar goals. Some of this may have been done already, but I want to make sure I get the work that matters most on my schedule. This is where writing days, prayer retreats, long-range planning etc. help. But I will also create a (very rough) project plan by assigning times on my calendar to work on chunks of my goals.

All done! 

Well, not really of course. Because I don't do JUST the things I want to, feel led to do. I also get requests from others. Meetings, conferences, and fun stuff. So once you have YOUR work on the calendar, then you can accept or decline the requests of others. If I someone asks for a time I have blocked out, then I can see if it is realistic to move what is already showing up to an empty spot (aka margin) to make room for their request. I want to honor their time and request, but I also want to honor the ways I've felt led to work.

In fact, this just happened to me this weekend. I was invited to lead worship for an event that sits squarely in the center of the things I am passionate about. So I looked over my Google calendar for the days before and after, the weeks before and after, and decided that while it would require some sacrifice and effort, it was worth it. 

That's freedom caused by structure and calendar-awareness. 

Now, time doesn't stand still and plans often change. So we have to manage our calendars. Based on the things I've learned through the years, here's what I suggest:
  • Prepare your calendar annually.
  • Review your calendar weekly.
  • Then live out your calling from your calendar daily.

A newer practice a friend suggested to me has a great early returns. I’ve started taking time every other month to do long-range planning. I revisit my calendar from 3-18 months out as part of that exercise. While it’s early in this new discipline, I think it is helping a lot.

This is SO different from the earlier part of my career. And these days, my recent days, are by far my best days. I’m convinced that goal setting and intentional calendaring have a great deal to do with that.

Now don’t be Pharisaical with your calendar, but be strong and courageous. Whether you are in the marketplace or the ministry, God has called you to do stuff. Being intentional helps us do the right stuff.

I'd imagine you, like me, would like to echo the words of Jesus in John 17:4: "I brought glory to you here on earth by completing the work you gave me to do." Discerning goals and managing time seem the best ways to do that, at least in our day.

Now... share with each other: What calendaring hacks have you discovered that help you?

No comments:

Post a Comment