Monday, March 25, 2019

All of you | All of Him

I was privileged to take a small team from our church to a giant national worship conference last fall. It was a great week in lots of ways. Often as much by what we noticed as what we were taught.

And then our church was given the honor of hosting a much smaller regional worship conference just weeks ago.

Both experiences were powerful and transforming. And they were very, very different.

Walking around the first conference, we could just sort of tell if somebody was “somebody.” It’s the fashion, the hair and makeup, the biceps and strategically placed "worship leader tattoos."

Or was it?

'Cause there were people there with those same tats, hair, and clothes that weren't so striking.

I think maybe it’s more about the staggering little phrase in Acts 4:13— “These men had been with Jesus.”

It didn't matter if they were on stage, in the hallway, or in the hotel lobby. I don't want to exaggerate here, but there was a "presence" about them. I think this may be what the Bible means with the word countenance. 

You could just sort of tell... these men and women had been with Jesus. 

I don't mean they did their daily devotion that morning. I mean... they had a habit, a discipline, of "all of me with all of You." Their power was not in their world-class musicianship; it was in their world-changing Savior.

It was harder to see in our local conference, but I believe that's because I know many of these people personally. I already know them as people who have a habit of "all of me with all of You."

I'm inspired. I want to do better at this. Oh, I read my Bible almost every day of the year. I pray every day. But I don't do as well as this "all of me is with all of Jesus" thing. 

Ironically, it's easiest when I'm leading worship. Probably second easiest when I'm preparing to do the same... and then when I'm talking with others about how amazing Jesus is. 

But I don't do it well alone.

My soul thirsts for this, I suppose much like the ancient songwriter's soul did. (Psalm 42:2)

So how about you? When you walk into a room, will people say of you, "She has been with Jesus!"

More importantly, when you walk into a stage, will people be able to see that you have been with Jesus?

It's more than a habit, more than a discipline. Those are simply the tools, the path. It is looking to Him (Ps 34:5). It is drawing near to Him (James 4:8). It is being known by Him (Psalm 139:3). It is delighting in Him (Ps 37:4).

It's all of you with all of Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment