Monday, March 2, 2020

Stop Producing THAT!



One of my favorite things about teaching is what I learn. I imagine the same is true for you as well. This past weekend I had the honor of teaching about time management at a local worship conference. In preparing, I learned something that has rocked my world.

Hang with me for a couple of paragraphs and I'll tell you straight out.

First, I reflected on how much I like producing stuff:
   --Rehearsals that are spiritually energized, relationally oriented, and musically productive;
   --Worship gatherings that are dripping with the Presence of God, build up the body, and testify to the not-yet-redeemed;
   --Meetings that are meaningful and effective, full of handouts that show how prepared I am;
   --Better musicians, and more effective worship leaders;
   --Events that are life-changing with shared leadership.

I could go on and on with the things I DO produce that are far less righteous sounding. Things like an impressive image, a good reputation, and a professional platform.

Ouch.

Second, I reflected on what God says I'm supposed to produce. I came up with three things. Just three:
   1) Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-25)
   2) Christ-likeness (1 John 2:6)
   3) Disciples (Matthew 28:18-20)

I'm sure there are others, but they seem to be contained in those three.

If my calendar (aka my time-management) is to honor God, then I should spend more time doing the things that produce Spirit-fruit, Christ-likeness, and Jesus-followers.

So I'm curious. What could you and I stop producing SO THAT you and I could start producing more fruit, more of Jesus, more disciples? That's a question I expect to spend a good bit of time thinking about in the coming weeks, and one that may help me decide what to say "yes" to and "no" to as ideas come to my mind and invitations land in my in-box.

Maybe that's the key to all of the time-management challenges we face.

2 comments:

  1. You can always find yourself busy in what is good but we must practice discernment in determining what is BEST, this allows us to shine more effectively for Jesus then merely just being busy in the good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that! Figuring it out sure seems hard moment by moment.

    ReplyDelete