Monday, July 1, 2013

Willing vs. Want

I am always grateful when, as a worship leader, someone is willing to do something to serve God, to build up the church, and to make much of Jesus to those in our services who are yet-to-be-redeemed.

A teenager is willing to step up and learn how to run screens. Yay!

A retirement age person is willing to use their skills to craft a piece of art to display in the lobby. Yay!

A local professional musician is willing to use her tremendous talent to be part of the worship team. For free. Yay!

But what really excites me is when someone moves beyond "willing to" and arrives at "want to."

Every person in the choir wants to stay when rehearsal is supposed to be over because they want to get that ending just right. YES!

The sound tech isn't ready to say the EQ on the worship leader's mic is set because it doesn't sound at least as good as listening without the microphone. So they ask if rehearsal can go an extra few minutes. They want to make to make it excellent. The band shouts a resounding YES!

The pastor asks how he can preach a sermon or series on the topic of worship, not because he is willing to help out the worship ministry but because he wants to make sure his congregation knows how to engage their hearts and minds fully. YES!

Something magnificent happens when the folks in our churches move from "willing to" to "want to." There's an abundance of joy. Frustration is hard to find. We celebration one another's giftedness. There's less and less envy. If everyone is doing what God created and prepared them to do, because Christ's love compels them, then commitment isn't hard to come by. Accountability is less difficult.

An unrealistic dream? Maybe, this side of heaven. But it's a dream I continue to pursue. In fact, I think it's a dream God has for His Bride.

Paid or unpaid leader, how do you foster the "want to" in your area of ministry?


2 Corinthians 5:14-15
Ephesians 2:10

2 comments:

  1. For me, the way I try to foster the "want to" in my ministry (I direct my church's orchestra) is to allow the volunteers under my direction to have some ownership of the work - I regularly solicit their opinions on how to use a particular song, ask for help in researching new music. I hope to do more of this - I've only just completed my first year in this position, the "relationship-building" year, and now I know which people have the time and talent to be of greater assistance to me/take greater ownership of the ministry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good word, Eric! I have also found that people who are included in the conversation take great ownership of the end result. Thanks!

      Delete