Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Controversy?

I've been pondering this grand Memorial Day holiday all weekend. It isn't the first time; I usually think about such things and their connection to faith, to worship, etc.

Well today I had what may be a rather controversial thought.

Before I get there please hear me say that I am a deeply patriotic man. I sing the National Anthem at ball games--usually all by myself. It's fairly normal for me to get choked up as I sing. I am as thankful as anyone I've ever spoken with for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of soldiers that ensure freedom for millions of us. 

OK. Are you ready?

Here goes.

I don't think those who died fighting for the freedom we enjoy in America made the ultimate sacrifice.

There, I said it.

And no, I'm not going to argue that Jesus did. That's sort of obvious, I think. Jesus died for all of humanity across all of history; veterans died for one country with just over a couple hundred years of history. 

What I mean is, for those who are Christ-followers, the ultimate sacrifice is not made by the veteran but by their family. 

Let me explain.

Paul wrote that "to live is Christ and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21)

If we believe him, then those who are in Christ actually win by dying. We gain. We have final victory, not terminal defeat. Regardless of who wins a particular skirmish, battle or war, those who die trade in combat for heaven. They find that by losing their life they find a better life. Perfect life. Eternal life.

But the families left behind... they have yet to receive such glory. They are left here with the pain of loss. They grieve--but, if they are in Christ, as those who have great hope!

So I have to wonder... does this phrase I've seen from so many of my social media friends, that I've heard from so many people I love and respect... does it reveal that we have a hard time believing that heaven is really as good as the Bible says it is?

Or does it reveal that we think of this world as our home?

Or, to finish on a less controversial thought, does it simply reveal that we have a terrible time trying to find adequate words to express our gratitude for those who gave their lives so we could live these lives?

I suspect there's a little of all of that going on. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment