Monday, January 20, 2020

One Team. One Pew.

At the conclusion of all of our rehearsals I require the team to sit on the front pew for us to cover logistics, answer questions, and pray. Invariably one of the folks on the tech team--or a guest--will try to sit in the second or third pew. 

(Require is a very strong word. I can't find a word strong enough but not quite that strong. If someone was deeply uncomfortable, of course I'd make an allowance.)

Our front pew is long, so we’ll cram 15 people on there if we have to.

One team. One pew.

Here’s why I am such a stickler for this:

We are all leading the same group to the same God. 
We should be on the same team. One team.

That’s also why I ask everyone to meet with me to pray before the service begins. Everyone. Tech crew, band, vocals. 

And that’s why we expect everyone to constantly thrive and improve. 

In order to unify the platform team and the tech team, I will often ask the tech crew what they need FROM us up front. We are quick to tell them what we want from THEM, but that can create an unhealthy one-sided hierarchy.

In an effort to make sure everyone on the team feels appreciated, I try to encourage folks the way they can best receive kudos. You may have seen me write about this before, but I’m a fan of a list of 10 things author Steve Stroope talks about in his book TRIBAL CHURCH. He cites 10 ways people can be paid without being paid. I put these on a handout and give them to those who regularly serve on our team. Here they are:
  • 1) Public Praise - a thank you note might seem meaningless, but hearing your name from me in a rehearsal or service makes you feel appreciated.
  • 2) Private Praise - you may not want anyone else to know that I notice, but you want to know that I notice. A “shout out” from the pulpit would make you crawl under the chair, but a word in the hallway would give you a spring in your step.
  • 3) Access - if you feel like I’m unavailable, you feel like you don’t matter. If you feel like I’m available to you, you feel valued.
  • 4) Input - the opportunity to contribute ideas before major decisions are made. Asking you beforehand means the world to you.
  • 5) Added Responsibility - some of us would hate this; we’re overwhelmed. Others thrive; we want to have more influence.
  • 6) Significance - hearing how what you are doing is making a difference in peoples’ lives keeps you going.
  • 7) Empowerment - having the authority to make decisions concerning your area of ministry without having to get permission feeds your soul.
  • 8) Adequate Resources - you want the right music, recordings, and tools to serve at your best.
  • 9) Perks or Bonuses - a gift card, lunch on me, gifts, etc. make you feel like you are being rewarded.
  • 10) Knowledge - when I suggest a book, a blog, a recording, etc. you feel like I’m investing in you. If I gave you a resource that is tailored to your role every once in a while, you’d feel like you were being paid well.

One more thing… all are invited into conversations. Again, it doesn’t matter if they are playing, singing, or running tech. Different vocalist gonna make the song better? Different combination of instruments? Add a stop for the band? We are one team giving one voice to one congregation to worship one God. 

How do you do this... foster unity among team members?

No comments:

Post a Comment