Friday, July 24, 2015

Worship Leaders, Let's Learn from Disney's new movie

I was skeptical.

Even though several people I love and trust said good things about Disney/Pixar's new film "Inside Out," I went into the theater looking for hidden agendas and sociocultural steering. (I know, I'm so weird!)

But I experienced an absolutely delightful, fun, and insightful movie.

And then, as I took time to reflect on the themes of the writers, several things I believe worship leaders should pay attention to emerged.

Without creating a "spoiler alert" I can tell you the moviegoer learns about 5 primary emotions and how they interact inside of head-quarters: joy, sadness, fear, disgust and anger each try to take over the role of "primary" in the life of young Riley.

Joy keeps trying to change the other emotions. She suppresses them. She even ignores them. It's as if she believes joy is the only valid, valued option. Don't get me wrong, she does all of this with joy. It's the only way she can be.

Few emotions are as helpful as fear... as long as we fear the right things. Riley needed to be afraid at times. It was when she feared the wrong things that her other emotions needed to kick in. As with all emotions, fear can take over and become crippling. But fear can also preserve our life. Biblically speaking, fear of God is commanded. When we minimize fear, we risk losing an essential part of who we are. What does this have to do with worship? Simple, actually. If we shouldn't suppress fear in life, we shouldn't suppress it in worship either. If people are afraid but we "play pretend" in church by ignoring that powerful emotion, we make it impossible to help our folks love God with all of who they are. How can we obey God's frequent command to be strong and courageous if we pretend not to struggle with fear?

Few emotions are as avoided as sadness...especially in American church culture. I wonder if this is part of the reason we have so many depressed people in our churches. I know the issue is far more complex than this, but perhaps by not giving expression to sadness we actually create a depressed culture. I'm way out of my league here, but let me come back by saying it is imperative that we allow people to feel sadness in our services. In fact, that's one of the reasons I'm convinced Matt and Beth Redman's song "Blessed Be Your Name" has been so popular in the modern church. It is honest about things like "being found in the desert place."

Few emotions are as neglected as disgust. At least when it comes to what I might call righteous disgust. Oh, we comfortably express disgust by our judgment of those far from God. That emotion is emboldened in pulpit after pulpit and pew after pew. But we fail to express disgust at our real enemy. Or at our own sin. We somehow leave out disgust for the sin inside of the church in favor of feeling disgust at the sin outside the church. Brothers and sisters, this simply cannot be. Apart from providing a time for confession, I have no clue how to integrate this into worship, but I imagine some of my song-writing and script-writing friends could help us here.

Few emotions are out of balance as much as anger. But we need to acknowledge that even anger has a place in our faith. Jesus Himself said "In your anger, do not sin." (Ephesians 4:26) Notice He did not say "In your emotions, be not angry." In the Biblical record, Jesus got angry several times. I believe He was angry at things like addiction, oppression, and favoritism. There is no doubt He was angry at those who hijacked the faith for selfish purposes. He expressed anger at those more concerned with religious practice than with a pure heart.

And, I'm increasingly convinced, few emotions are as essential to worship as authentic joy. I wish I didn't have to use a qualifier, but pretend joy has become prevalent. It is powerless. Indeed, it is counter to our mission. (Inauthenticity always is.) But the joy of the Lord is strength. And the church desperately needs strength. Christian worship should be characterized by joy. I love the way Walter B Knight put it: "Joy is the flag that flies over the castle of our hearts announcing that the King is in residence today."

So what can we learn from "Inside Out"?

Minor spoiler alert: when the emotions all take their proper place, life becomes full for Riley.

So let's learn to be honest in worship, to give time and space to our church families to express their full range of emotions. And to learn that we were made in the image of a mighty God, Who created fear to protect us, sadness to release us, disgust at sin--all sin, anger toward injustice, and joy to strengthen us.

And then maybe, just maybe, we will learn to worship with all of our heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment