Saturday, August 16, 2014

Bad Biblical Worship?

Does the title trouble you? Can Biblical worship be bad?

Actually, it can.

You see, most of what I read about worship these days, especially in blogs like this one, are about created things—screens, hymnals, organs, drums, keys, etc.

I find it fascinating that the Bible is silent on issues like this. I find it equally fascinating--and extremely challenging--that it is not at all silent on things related to worship like obedience, engaging both our heart and minds, and the centrality and supremacy of Jesus Christ.

Consider a powerful passage by the minor prophet Amos. It describes bad worship, and it's in the Bible.

"I hate all your show and pretense--
     the hypocrisy of your religious festivals and solemn assemblies.
I will not accept your burnt offerings and grain offerings.
     I won't even notice all your choice peace offerings.
Away with your noise hymns of praise!
     I will not listen to the music of your harps.


No mention of screens or hymnals. Nothing about harps being good or bad. But God seems quite upset with "noisy hymns of praise." Of praise. God was upset with their praise.

Maybe we should be more concerned about why our Father would use words like "I hate... and I will not accept... and I won't even notice... or I will not listen."

This is bad, Biblical worship.

Maybe that’s why I feel compelled to write so often about the “impractical” side of worship. As long as we are missing the mark on the things the Bible tells us clearly, we are probably wasting our time debating the myriad of things the Bible doesn’t tell us.

Let's not stop here, though. We should get to what makes for good Biblical worship.

What did God want from the people Amos was sent to admonish? It's in the very next verse:

"Instead, I want to see a mighty flood of justice,
     and endless river of righteous living."


As just one among thousands and thousands of worship leaders, I'd like to suggest we spend a little more time working toward justice and righteous living and a little less time posturing (even arguing) about the things where God chooses silence.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment