Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Key to Abundant Life?

I've been listening to and reading some wise Christian leaders over the last few months. There seems to be a healthy conversation taking place about the difference (in today's church) between converts and disciples. Of course this is not a new distinction, but it is one that seems to be getting refreshed.

And now I'm wondering. Could it be that in many parts of North America the church isn't growing in healthy ways because we are filled with converts expecting to be served rather than disciples looking for ways to serve? Do you and I expect to be waited on, expecting someone to deliver abundant and eternal life to our table on platter? Or are we increasingly becoming people who are serving others at the banquet table of our Master?

It seems to me that when we "obey all the commands Jesus has given us," (Mt 28:20) we are disciples who live abundantly and anticipate eternity.

Let me be even more concise: obedience is the path to abundance.

There is no doubt, Jesus came to bring the very opposite of what the enemy is intent on: The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. (John 10:10)

Jesus takes story after story, teaching after teaching, to describe for us how to have that life--the very life He came to give us.

My concern is that we may be stuck, thinking the moment of conversion is the only key to abundant, then eternal life. But the instruction of Jesus seems to be that converts aren't entitled to abundant life, we just have access to it. The way we live abundantly is to follow the instruction of our Master.

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Rod, I am increasingly concerned that there might be no conversion without discipleship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Provocative thought in our evangelical world, isn't it big brother? James did say "faith is dead without works." (James 2:26) And "dead" seems like a pretty good description of life outside of Christ. More feedback from others?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder about the "fire insurance gospel" that seems so prevelent. I saw a facebook post today by a friend who was joking about dying and going to hell, and a friend commented: "Have you been baptized?" Well intentioned, I think, but false comfort, I fear! Hey, like Yoda that sounded...

    ReplyDelete